- 1 What was that keyboard trick we learned in the Jump Start class to switch between programs?
- 2 Where is the EV3 Introduction to Programming On-Line Curriculum?
- 3 What programs do I need to load to work on the Robotics Challenge
- 4 Where can I purchase a RVW Virtual Brick License?
- 5 Where can I find the RVW Virtual Brick for Mac OSX?
- 6 Where are the Programs I need to work on the Robotics Challenge???
- 7 Why won’t the medium motor work in the Lego Mindstorms EV3 software?
- 8 How do I change my Robot Configuration?
What was that keyboard trick we learned in the Jump Start class to switch between programs?
- Press and Hold the <Alt> key and then press the <Tab> key one or more times to switch between applications.
Where is the EV3 Introduction to Programming On-Line Curriculum?
What programs do I need to load to work on the Robotics Challenge
- Launch RVW Virtual Brick
- On Virtual Brick, select Target World -> Introduction to EV3 to load the correct RVW Virtual World
- Load LEGO Mindstorms EV3 Programming Software
- Load EV3 Introduction to Programming on-line curriculum – http://www.education.rec.ri.cmu.edu/content/lego/ev3/preview/
Where can I purchase a RVW Virtual Brick License?
- Go to: http://www.robotvirtualworlds.com/virtualbrick/
- Find and click on Purchase link
- Decide if you want a 365 day license or a Perpetual License (~$30 more expensive than 365 day license)
Where can I find the RVW Virtual Brick for Mac OSX?
The RVW Virtual Brick does not work on Mac OSX. It has only been developed to run on Windows machines. You can run a RVW Virtual Brick in a Windows Virtual Machine on a Mac, but this is a very advanced topic not addressed here…
Where are the Programs I need to work on the Robotics Challenge???
In the Jump Start class, the programs were organized on the desktop. On your home computer, they may not be there unless you create desktop shortcuts for them.
You need to use three different programs. We recommend you open them in the following order.
- Web Browser (Google Chrome, Firefox, etc) to access the On-line EV3 Introduction to Programming Curriculum. Here is a link to the curriculum.
- RVW Virtual Brick
- From your Start Menu, look for the folder called RVW Virtual Brick, expand it and click on Launch Virtual Brick.
- Lego Mindstorms EV3 Software
- From your Start Menu, look for the folder starting with LEGO Mindstorms EV3, expand it and click on the LEGO Mindstorms EV3 program
Why won’t the medium motor work in the Lego Mindstorms EV3 software?
The Lego Mindstorms EV3 software thinks that the RVW Virtual Brick is a Lego NXT robot. Therefore, it does not recognize the Medium motor. The Medium motor was not available for Lego NXT robots. Anytime the On-Line curriculum asks for the Medium motor, you can substitute and use the Large motor instead.
How do I change my Robot Configuration?
For some challenges, the base configuration of the robot will not allow you to complete the challenge. You need to change the robot to be able to complete the challenge from the EV3 Introduction to Programming on-line curriculum that is in the RVW Virtual Brick.
After opening the RVW Virtual Brick and opening the Introduction to EV3 Target World and logging in the cs2n.org network you will see the RVW Virtual World. On the main screen before clicking Start Challenge on any particular challenge, you need to find the Robots button. Click it and then find and select the robot configuration that matches what you need for the challenge.